Writing code is just one of the tools I use to help people make shows.
The other tools are :
- putting together teams to write production code based on the code I wrote
- showing up to where people are using the code we wrote
- bringing along (some of) the people who actually wrote the code
- going through the process where they use the code we wrote
- understanding what it feels like to use the code we wrote
- understanding the effects of the code on other show departments
- documenting the experience of using the code that we wrote
- taking that documentation back to the team that wrote the code
- riding on the tour bus to the next show that’s using the code we wrote
- making sure that the team has enough context to make the code better
- quieting the inner voice that says ‘I could write it better’
So my real job is caring about the people that use the code, and caring about the people that write the code.
I (sometimes) miss writing code.